Monday, March 7, 2011

Lessons


I seem to do it each season, every year, and it drives me nuts each and every time.  I get so hung up on it, it becomes the focal point, the centre, the glue for it all to work beautifully.  In an instant, it is taken from me.

The way I was taught in school, and in the same way I continue creatively, I establish a concept. For me, the idea, the story begins with the fabric.  Many designers look to arts and culture, history and politics, travel and adventure, even other designers for the inspiration to their collection.

My creative process begins with the ultimate fabric.  I find one that I am completely in love with, can't take my mind off, and build up the rest from there.

The instant that it was all taken from me was this morning.  The fabric I first fell in love with, the ultimate, is gone, sold out, discontinued... the glue slowly un-glueing (is that a word?)

I'm not sure how I find myself in this position time and time again.  Is it my indecision, my need to become absolutely in love with everything (some might say obsessive)?  Yes, yes, and yes.

Lesson learned, I hope (if it consumes my thoughts and it's a good thing, grab it fast).

I contemplated including a picture of the fabric, but can't.  It hurts still.  In the morning, I'm off to find its replacement.  

No comments:

Post a Comment